Nutritional Knowledge You Can Use
I like to try different meals when I go out to eat. When I find something I like, I figure out what’s in it and make something similar at home with a few modifications. Such is the case with my baked tofu sandwich inspired by a choice on the menu at Twisted Tree Cafe in Asbury Park, NJ. You might be thinking “tofu? eww”! But I think you will enjoy this sandwich.
The baked tofu sandwich does not take long to make and you can add a little spring mix on the side for some greens.
The ingredients are available at most supermarkets. I find most of mine at Trader Joe’s.
- Food for Life flax seed (or Ezekiel 4.9) bread (Should be in the frozen section of most supermarkets. Trader Joe’s carries it but it is not frozen. I recommend getting frozen because it is sprouted grain bread)
- Organic extra firm tofu.
- Roasted red peppers
- Nutritional Yeast – (I use either Red Star or Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast 4.5 oz by Bragg.) Nutritional yeast has a fabulous taste to it! It is also a great source of B vitamins among other possible health benefits (this article describes the difference between brewer’s yeast and nutritional yeast).
- Garlic powder
- Raw milk cheddar cheese
- Optional – tomato
- Pre-heat oven to 375º
- Lightly spray a corning or glass dish that can be used in the oven with a coconut oil or olive oil spray
- Remove tofu from package and blot it with paper towel (it will be squishy and wet)
- Slice about 1/4 to 1/2 inch piece of tofu along the long edge and place it in the corning dish
- Sprinkle some garlic powder on the tofu
- Sprinkle some nutritional yeast on the tofu
- Spread a roasted red pepper on the tofu remembering it will be a sandwich and you will want the peppers on both sides of the sandwich
- You can add the optional slices of tomato on top or under the peppers
- Slice some pieces of raw cheddar cheese and put it on what will be both sides of the sandwich.
When the oven is warm, put the corning dish in the oven for about 12 – 15 minutes or until it looks cooked enough for you. I wait until the cheese is melted!
After you have baked it, remove it from the oven, toast 2 slices of bread. Spread the pesto (I like a lot!) on the toast and put the tofu combination on the toast. Cut the sandwich and enjoy!
If you come up with other ideas or ingredients that you think add flavor to this, please send me an email so I can try it too! Enjoy!