Fitness options at home
The new year is when many of us look to make health and fitness habit changes. This year (2020-2021) it’s more challenging with health club restrictions and limited capacity. Many are reluctant to rush back into gyms and health clubs.
Exercising at home is a safe, viable option. If you do have a gym set up in your garage, basement or other room – great! However you don’t need a lot of space or equipment to get your body moving to reach your health and fitness goals.
Setting it up
To create your own minimal workout space, all you need is:
- about an 8′ x 4′ open space free of objects that might get tipped or knocked over by you or a bouncy floor,
- non-slip carpet if the area is carpeted,
- inexpensive foam floor tiles if you plan to workout on a hard surface such as hardwood or cement,
- an exercise mat for floor work and to protect the carpet,
- music to help motivate you,
- your bodyweight.
Now, if you want to challenge yourself even more, there are many equipment options that can be easily stowed in a closet.
For our some of our pre-packaged workouts, you will need the required equipment below. Click the links in bold for suggested products. If the suggestion does not meet your needs, you can search in the Exercise and Fitness Equipment page. Using these links is most appreciated!
- A single dumbbell or single kettlebell – use a weight that allows you to do 8 repetitions of a single arm bent over row (see image).
- Alternatively, instead of a kettlebell, you can get a Kettle Gryp. The Kettle Gryp allows you to use a dumbbell and convert it into a kettlebell like piece of equipment. (NOTE: while you can do most kettlebell exercises with it, you may be limited in some due to the width of some dumbbells.)
- Superbands black ½” or orange 1/4″
- Exercise tubes and Heavy Duty Door Anchor (if not included with the tubes you buy)
- Exercise mat (non-slip)
- High Density Foam Roller – 36″ x 6″
Here are some additional recommendations for even more variety in your workouts.
- TRX ALL-IN-ONE Suspension Training or Lifeline Jungle Gym Suspension Trainer System (we use this one)
- 6 lb Soft Medicine Ball
- Exercise Ball (check size product recommendation. i.e. 65cm recommended for people 5’8″ – 6′ 3″.)
Using your bodyweight or any equipment available to you at home or in the gym, a workout plan can be created and delivered to you using my online training app, Skype/video call, or in your home (current COVID-19 situation has in-home training on hold) that helps you get fitter, stronger, and healthier!
If you need guidance to set up your home workout space, please contact me. There is no pressure, I simply want to help set you up for success!