Nutritional Knowledge You Can Use
As you may know from previous posts, I enjoy attempting to recreate meals that I’ve tried at restaurants that I’ve visited. I think you will enjoy this quick, easy, and very nutritious meal inspired by a choice called The Hot and Healthy Bachelor offered at Life Alive in Lowell, MA. Prep time was about 20 minutes the first time I made it, but it’s quicker now that I know what to expect!
You’ll need a steamer (a pot with one of those pots with the holes on the bottom).
Most of the ingredients can be bought where healthy food options are sold. I buy most of mine at Trader Joe’s.
(there are images of some of the products below)
- Trade Joe’s Habanero Lime Flour Tortillas
- Bob’s Red Mill Large Flake Nutritional Yeast (loaded with B-vitamins!)
- Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice (in the frozen section)
- Raw milk cheddar cheese (I’ve been using a New Zealand Cheddar because the raw milk cheddar has not been available)
- Boiled egg
- Trader Joe’s organic frozen broccoli (kale can also be added as well)
I’ll tell you right off the bat that when I’m winging it with food prep, I’m not one to measure unless I’m told how much to use. Instead I guess and use amounts to my taste. Use your judgement for your taste. At some point I’ll measure what I use and update this post accordingly.
That said, how many servings will this recipe make? I’ve been able to make about 6 – 8 wraps out of it when I use the entire bag of rice. The whole bag makes enough for a week’s worth of lunches. If I’m making one serving, I’ll probably use 1/2 to 1 cup of rice. This post assumes uses the entire bag of rice.
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- Chop the broccoli (or kale, or both) into fine pieces. ( I’m not a fan of big broccoli chunks so it’s practically dust).
- Steam the rice and broccoli in a steamer (pots with holes in the bottom)
- When it starts to soften, add 1 – 3 tablespoons (approximately, I pour it in) of nutritional yeast and let it steam a little longer.
- Be careful not to over steam it. If you run out of water in the steamer, you’ll bake the pot (yep, I did it).
- Cut 2 or 3 strips of cheese and put it on the wrap.
- Next, cut some small pieces of avocado and place them on top of the cheese.
- Once the egg is boiled, chop it into small pieces to mix with the rice, broccoli (and kale).
- Let it steam just a little longer to make sure everything is done.
- Spoon the mixture onto the avocado and wrap it up.
- Let it sit a few minutes to let the cheese soften.
- Enjoy your creation!
Below are some photos of what it will look like and some of the other ingredients.
This meal has everything: healthy fats, protein, carbohydrates! If you have leftovers, you can put it in the fridge to be heated up another day!
If you have any questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.